Notes on Lab #1
- You can get the instructions
- Don't worry if some of the math concepts (differential equation, integration)
are unfamiliar to you. We will cover these in class soon.
- Neither Vensim PLE nor Microsoft Word is on the desktop; you'll have to
find them under the All Programs tab in the Start menu.
- You don't have to answer the Quick Review questions, but make sure to
do the work that they tell you.
- Don't worry if Vensim doesn't behave exactly as the authors specify.
I couldn't get the bidirectional arrows to work, for example. As with
many software programs, you may have to experiment a bit to get things to
- When you get to the end of the Graphs section (page 16), don't print
the graph. Instead, use the
Export window contents (clipboard) icon on your graph to save the graph
to the clipboard. Make sure that you're seeing a graph that has both the
variables (growth and population) visible separately, as red and blue lines
(or lines distinguished in some other visual way).
Then create a new MS Word document and paste the
graph (CTRL-V) into it. Then put your name and other identifying information
(date, class) at the top. This will be your writeup. Remember, before
submitting your writeup, convert it to PDF using the "Save as / PDF" feature
in MS Word, or the free doc2pdf program online.
- When you get to the end of the Tables section (bottom of p. 17),
do the same thing for the modified table as you did for the graph: instead of
printing it, copy it to the clipoard and paste it into your writeup. Make
sure that your table is the modified one generated in Quick Review Question 20.
- When you get to the end of the lab, make sure that your model has the
slider visible in it. Save it one more time. Then submit your properly-named
model (.MDL) file to the turnin folder (e.g., mine would be called
- Polonium-210 was in the news in 2006. For extra credit, add a sentence or
two to your writeup explaining why.
- Finally, submit your properly-named writeup (.PDF) file to the turnin folder
(e.g., mine would be called levys_lab1.pdf).